EnviroPrime is a water-based, nontoxic anti-corrosive, Red Oxide in colour paint used for priming mild steel and galvanised iron.
EnviroPrime metal primer is a modified acrylic bound primer that:
-Incorporates various anti-corrosive pigments.
-Is used for the priming of structural steel as well as galvanised iron, combating white and red rust.
-Dries quickly to a hard finish with excellent adhesion and good acid rain resistance.
-Is low in odour while being nontoxic and environmentally friendly.
-Formulated for Highveld conditions.
NOTE: No suitable for overcoating with epoxy or nitro cellulose based top coats.
SURFACE PREPARATION AND APPLICATION
- Use Paintcor’s Grime Reaper to remove all grease and oil from the steel to be primed (see Grime Reaper Data sheet).
- Sand or shot blast all steel back to bright metal (removing all mill scale and rust). Remove all sanding dust.
- Apply 2 coats of EnviroPrime. Allow at least 60 minutes at 25°C to dry between coats.
- Use Paintcor’s Grime Reaper to remove all grease and oil from the galvanized iron to be primed (see Grime Reaper Data sheet). Allow to dry
- Remove all white or red rust from the galvanized iron surface, if any. (White rust can be removed by washing the galvanized sheeting thoroughly with undiluted white spirit vinegar). Rinse well with water after washing and allow to dry.
- Apply 1 coat of EnviroPrime and allow to dry.
- Remove all loose, peeling paint if any.
- Where paint has been removed back to bare metal, sand metal to a bright finish, and sand edges of scar to zero. Paintcor’s Rust Convertor may be used on the rust instead of sanding back to bright metal (see Rustcon data sheet).
- Prime the exposed metal only with two coats of Paintcor EnviroPrime. Allow to dry between coats
- Remove all loose and peeling paint.
- If there is any rust on exposed galvanised iron, then remove the rust and bring the iron back to bright metal. Alternatively, Paintcor’s Rustcon may be used on the rust instead of sanding it back to bright metal. (See Rustcon data sheet).
- pply one coat of All Prime to areas where rust was removed, allow to dry. Now apply 1 coat of EnviroPrime to all exposed galvanising, this will result in 2 coats of EnviroPrime over areas where rust was removed. Allow 60 minutes at 25°C to dry between coats.
- Finally overcoat with top coats of your choice
NB: If over coating with solvent based top coats, then allow the complete primer system 48 hours to dry at 25°C before over coating.Application Method
Apply with Brush, Roller or Airless SprayCleaning Equipment
Clean all equipment with water immediately after use